Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Blogging Resources & My Thoughts

Hello bloggers!

I have added more resources, links and blogs for you to check out!

BLOGS: Mike Cope, Bruce Black and Brandon Scott Thomas (BST)
WEB LINKS: Christianity Today, Heartlight, Study Light, Literature Ministries, Interactive Bible.

___________________________

Today has been a crazy day. But it was a great day. I talked with a wonderful couple this morning and met with Murray Sanderson for lunch discussing the future of the deaf ministry: relationship, fellowship, maturity and spirituality. I shared with Murray some of our weaknesses and strengths. We had a great discussion about both worlds (deaf and hearing). I shared with him my thoughts and feelings regarding the deaf work here in D.C.. It seems like the Spirit in me wants us to move on to another field ripe for harvest where souls are hungry for God, to grow and to serve. But, then, I told Murray that everyday is a new day here at Fairfax. When we fail to serve God, we start over again.

When the Spirit's fire has died, we, as family, work to revive Him in us again. When we have become too busy to do the Lord's will, we sit down and re-prioritize our daily life. When we have a conflict with a fellow member, we go to them and work on forgiveness. When the fellowship isn't going the way you and I think, we work together to bring the fellowship back, God's way. I know some of you have talked among one another about how weak the fellowship is at Fairfax. Reading the book, "DNA of Relationships", Gary Smalley said it perfectly that "..the problem lies not on the people or situation "outside", it lies within the person!" We cannot just simply sit back and complain about it. We are to move forward and work to build stronger relationships and fellowship. I just get tired of hearing people telling me a thing or two that is not to their liking and do nothing about it.

You may know that the book of Philippians is one of my favorite books of the Bible. Here's what Paul wrote to the church in Philippi:

"But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy in the faith, so that your proud confidence in me may abound in Christ Jesus through my coming to you again. Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or remain absent, I will hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;.." Philippians 1:23-27 (nas)

The Apostle wanted to die and be with Christ which is so much better. And I agree! But he knows it was necessary to remain alive for the sake of all the churches of Christ. He wanted the church to have confidence in Paul when he comes again to visit and to be an encouragement to the church. Until then, he encouraged them to conduct themselves in a manner "worthy of the gospel of Christ." And that they are standing firm in "one spirit and mind"!

In some ways, Paul's feeling is mutual. In some ways, I want to depart and seek other opportunities where a church are hungry to serve God among the deaf community, being the best example of Christ, and that the unity in the Lord's church is strong with one spirit and one mind working together for the faith of the gospel. I am aware that every church has her own weaknesses. Right now and Lord willing, I know that we must remain with the church at Fairfax for your sake. We have a desire to continue on with you all to continue working on your progresses and joy in the faith. Paul encouraged brother Timothy to instruct the church he is at to be diligent in faith and lead a holy life so that everyone will see Jesus in us. We need to be eager to grow in the faith (Romans 10:17). We need to lead a holy life so that people around us (family and friends) will see Jesus.

"Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress." 1 Timothy 4:15 (niv)

I am sorry if this doesn't seem to be a good blog for some of you. Consider this a "wake-up call". I want to say that it's a real blessing to be at Fairfax. I know it will be a blessing to be just about any churches of Christ in the world. I know the Lord will tell us "when" it is "time". There are other churches hungry to start a fresh deaf work. I am just as hungry as they are, too! I love working with faithful people who are hungry to worship, learn, to serve, to grow and to reach out. I love helping people grow to become faithful Christians. We need to consider our "weaknesses" as our strength. Alot of us don't realize that. Instead of splashing around, pouting in a puddle of "weakness", we move forward with a proud feeling that we're strong through our weaknesses.

Let's consider each day, a new day. Let's work together to bring God the glory! Let's build better relationships, even working with difficult ones. Let's not be "self-centered" but "other-centered". Keep on reading the Bible (daily), Blogs and growing in Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Re: Weakness, your comments made me think of the infamous "runaway bride" Jennifer Wilbanks. In her interview with Katie Couric last night (her fiance John Mason was at her side, holding her hands), she revealed her weakness by saying that the mistake she made of running away was the best one she made because it made her realize that she really needed serious help. That's why she immediately went and sought inpatient psychiatric care after she was brought back home from New Mexico. She came to this realization just in time and held off her impending marriage to her fiance. We have to praise the Lord for this because things could have gotten so much worse if she had gone ahead and gotten married! So I believe that it's important for us to recognize our weaknesses, confess to God about them, pray and improve ourselves before it's too late or before things get worse. I've had my share of ignoring my weaknesses and difficult lessons so I applaud God for nudging Jennifer like He nudged me. Smile. He has to be given a chance to nudge all of us who are weak before we are drawn further and further away from showing Jesus.

Monica