Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Stories Of Perseverance

I just so thankful that I'm able to "see" some stories of faith and perseverance from one of my staffers here at Fairfax. My co-worker, Ellyn, used to be an interpreter but has been working as an assistant Children's minister for several years now. Every now and then, she helps with the interpreting needs.

As Michelle and I came into the office this morning, Ellyn saw us and jumped right in front of us to tell us some stories of perseverance. Keep in mind that we do not "hear" these stories like most members do. We have to "see" it in our language. So we're very thankful that Ellyn was able to take the time to share with us and the stories journeyed into the very core of our hearts!

To be honest with you, I cannot explain this in words what we "saw" in the stories of perseverance. But, like fire that burns in our body, we cannot contain this in! It must be shared. Our jaws just dropped! Our hearts pounded! Our bodies just shiver with the "fear" that there is a God who continues to be in control. Some of you may know three of our members (hearing) are still battling with terrible diseases (cancer). While they're still battling their diseases, Michelle saw Bob at church just this past Sunday. Someone told me that Scott came to worship God while his wife lie in bed recovering from several brain surgeries. Ellyn continues to tell us these stories of what is happening in their lives right now. I can see that nothing hinders their walk with God! They're an inspiration, not only to us, but to many of those who loves them. Scott's wife, according to Ellyn, accepted the affliction and wanted people to know that it was for the glory of God!! This is heavy!

Again, I'm just speechless today! I think you know the rest of the story now. I just don't feel like doing anything here at the office but to give God my undivided attention and to say, "Glory to God! Glory to God!" I just personally don't know how I would do if I were in the spouse's shoes. Regardless and whatever the Lord wills for their lives to be (whether to continue with life or when death comes), I just wanted to take the time to thank them for sharing their struggles with us. When they learned that cancer has taken toll of their bodies, they fell before God saying that they continue to love Him regardless of the situation. They continue to pray to God to rescue them out of this horrible mess. Apostle Paul did the same thing asking that the Lord take away the "thorn in his flesh" in 2 Corinthians 12:7 (niv). But they continue to persevere through this trial. It is the food we need to eat. It's the drink we need to drink. They help us look at life differently.

Keep in mind that we continue to be amazed by the faith and perseverance of Scott's wife, Sarah!!! We didn't hear any, "Why me, God? Why not others suffer? Why didn't you choose someone else?" or any other questions pointing a blame to God.. She said, "I accept this and I do this to glorify God!"

"Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." Romans 5:3-5 (nas)

1 comment:

Ellyn said...

Well said Mark, well said! Thank you for taking the time to spread God's story that is being told thru Sarah and her family. Her lifesong sings to our heavenly Father.

We of course pray for her complete healing. Her 4 young children need their mama. She wants to raise them but knows that God is soverign and will be glorified and reign no matter what the outcome.

Once again, the ability to sign has come to the forefront and is impacting lives!