Monday, November 13, 2006

My Eyes On People

Hey Bloggers,

I just wanted to take a few minutes to jot down a few people that I have been watching and was filled with admiration and am blessed to be around with such godly people. Though, I cannot include everyone, just a few that really touched my heart in the past week..

(I just hope they don't mind my mentioning their names!)

Last week, I met with two wonderful people who just lights up my heart! Abebe Asrat and his fiancee', Jennifer, just couldn't stop smiling. I believe there's one of the most humble people I have ever met. They are hungry to serve God. Jennifer has been reading the Bible and Picture Bible. She has never gone to church until now. She's only 18 years old and such a sweet, sweet woman. I just pray that no one in the world, even in the church, will diffuse that light out of their hearts! They're eager to be baptized into the Lord's death and be risen with a new life soon! We continue to be in touch so be an example to them and pray!

Hazel Taylor is a joy to be around with. I'm just appalled in how she continues to persevere through her times of trials. She continues to fight to stay healthy. One time, she wanted to just die, die, die and go be with her late husband, Harold. Smile. But she continues to simply move on by saying, "Well, the Lord said, 'It's not time for you to go, yet.' I'll just sit and twiddle my thumbs until He calls me home." Man! I love her!! I love this sweet ole lady and she really inspires me so much! She knows some songs by heart and sometimes sings them to me. Then I join in with the singing! When she sings, she closes her eyes and smiles as if she can literally see God. And I have no doubt that God is also smiling. Everyone ought to follow her example! Really!

Another wonderful lady that also puts a smile on my face is Dorothy Eckert. She worked so hard to learn ASL and to communicate with deaf people like me. She continues overcome many obstacles including several surgeries to remove several cancer-causing cells. She's been so, so faithful worshipping God with the deaf. I hardly ever remember her missing a single Sunday except when she just returned home from the hospital or on vacation. Again, she's an awesome lady who loves to serve the Lord!

Susan Scholtz and Henry Cardenas, are both completing their "internship in ASL study" with us at Fairfax. They are another wonderful people whom are dedicated to bridge communication gap between the deaf and hearing in this world. They've been working real hard to bring themselves to the level of ASL certification requirements. We've grown fond of them and they're always in my heart and prayers! Please lift them up as they continue to work their way to become interpreters (secularly and religiously).

Finally, I met with a wonderful man today for lunch. His name is Asrat Kebede, a deaf man from Ethiopia. We only had one hour to chat and I learned a whole lot more about Asrat in that hour than knowing him since last Spring (off and on). I told him that I look forward to having more fellowship with him. If you haven't had a chance to meet Asrat, I encourage you to do so!And, what is more? Something exciting will happen this Sunday, Lord willing! :)

"For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example. We were not idle when we were with you,.." 2 Thess. 3:7 (niv)

And, remember, the eyes in the world continue to watch you, your example and your influence.

No comments: