Friday, May 19, 2006

The Weekend

Bloggers!

I'll be "Mr. Mom" this weekend while my precious wife, Michelle, attend the second annual Ladies' retreat. They'll be retreating to Graves Mountain Lodge not far from the Shennadoah National Park and Skyline Drive. It's west of Culpeper (Virginia)! The deaf ladies' have been planning this for a long time and THEY ARE VERY GOOD AT IT! I learned that the coordinators gathered over 115 donated gift items from area stores and members of the Fairfax Church of Christ (hearing and deaf)!! That means each of the "retreaters" will get about 5 gift items (and door prizes)!! I can see in Michelle's eyes telling me, "It's good to be a woman!"

----

I was reading another blog today and found it very interesting. He was talking about how "Starbucks" conquered the world today and they're in almost every corner!! Like McDonalds, you cannot miss it! One person made a comment where he quoted from Leonard Sweet's message at one of the conferences regarding Starbucks and why people are so crazy about it: "Starbucks doesn't sell coffee, they sell the EXPERIENCE OF COFFEE!" If you take a careful look at this quote that Sweet made, I think you'll understand why he put it this way to apply to "christianity".

Another fabulous point from Sweet: "Starbucks is EPIC!" The definition of "epic" is classic, heroic, and impressive.. Sweet made a point using each of letter:

E: Experiential
P: Participatory
I: Image-rich
C: Communal

Yes! Sweet is deep!

Though, I am not a coffee drinker but I find Starbucks offers excellent chai. When I get a chance, I drink a Iced Venti Chai with seven pumps and less ice. If you go to Starbucks, what's your favorite drink?

Did you know that a TALL java costs approximately $3.19!! That's more than a gallon of gas we spend!

----

My youngest girl has a softball game tomorrow. After the game, the Lower Loudoun Girls Softball League (LLGSL softball) is hosting a fair for all the coaches, players and fans! It's also a fundraising event in which the girls are very excited about!! It'll be a busy day and I'm excited about that, too!

----

This Sunday, I'll be talking about Elijah. One of my favorite stories in the Bible is in the book of 1 Kings about Elijah. Elijah was under the oppression of the king Ahab and the worse queen in the history of mankind, Jezebel. Elijah was very afraid, even though God has always been with him. Elijah decided to flee to a cave to hide. Then God said, "What are you doing here, Elijah?" I believe this Sunday's lesson will be very interesting. I encourage you to take the time in reading the story about Elijah in 1 Kings and apply this to your life and those around you.

"The LORD said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD , for the LORD is about to pass by." Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD , but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave. Then a voice said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"" 1 Kings 19:11-13 (niv)

Are you like Elijah? Are you hiding from God? Are you running away from your problems? Do you here Him whispering in your heart, "What are you doing here, [your name]?"

----

Have a great weekend, bloggers!!

4 comments:

Fitness4God said...

Though, I am not a coffee drinker but I find Starbucks offers excellent chai. When I get a chance, I drink a Iced Venti Chai with seven pumps and less ice. If you go to Starbucks, what's your favorite drink?

Chai - yuck and they use pumps - geez!

After a hard day doing landscaping, I like to drink mocha or espresso frappaccino. Good stuff. I also like java. Leave the chai drinks for the ladies :)

Fitness4God said...

Cario -

Chai is a yucky drink :) I can't figure out why Mark likes it.

Mark Lowenstein said...

Hush, Den!

Fitness4God said...

C'mon, join me for a "7 pumps" venti espresso frappaccino fellowship :)