Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Ba Humbug Vinci


Long since the commotion started about the upcoming movie, "Da Vinci Code", I learned that it was Ron Howard that directed it! And, yes, it came to a shock to me! I have always loved how Ron directed many great movies in the past: Cinderella Man, Beautiful Mind, Apollo 13, Backdraft, Cocoon and Splash.. Until this one (Da Vinci Code), brings a sour taste to my mouth. I don't know if he realize he's doing more damage than good out of this movie.

But....

I am looking way back in the old, old days, back to where Adam and Eve lived in the sought-after, "Garden of Eden".. God said for them NOT to touch the fruit from the knowledge of good and evil! God had left with them a choice to choose from whether or not to leave the tree alone. You know the rest of the story and they are the reason for Jesus!

Throughout the history of the world, we're given a choice whether we follow and obey God or follow the ways of man. This has been going on for hundreds to thousands of years! Really, it's nothing new, as what Solomon always say, "under the sun"!!

I want to bring your attention to the book of Acts. Let's move forward to chapter 17 where Paul engaged the philosophers in Athens – even quoting their own writings to them in order to make his points. Instead of picketing Mars Hill, he interacted with the culture. Taking advantage of the prevailing spiritual curiosity, he pointed people toward the real Jesus. And churches can do the same with The Da Vinci Code. I am starting to read the book (yes, I am a couple months late on this). Also, I learned a few things about how this book made a greater impact on the people in the world. Elsewhere, the church attendance jumped to betwen 100 and 500 more people than their normal weekly attendance.

To close this "Oh Ba Humbug Vinci" blog, I love this verse:

"It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. But what does that matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice." Philippians 1:15-18 (niv)

Can you imagine how much the author, Dan Brown, is earning from this? 40+ million copies sold and a movie rights plus royalties for sharing a lie??

"..that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as one man for the faith of the gospel without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you. This is a sign to them that they will be destroyed, but that you will be saved - and that by God." Philippians 1:27-28 (niv)

We've got the "TRUTH" on our side! So, Ba humbug Da Vinci!

1 comment:

Fitness4God said...

Ba Humbug Dan Brown! What motivated him to write this book?