Monday, April 03, 2006

Faith On Sand?

I got an email from a brother in Christ of mine.. It's a C.S. Lewis quote. I replied to him and a few others and felt that this must be blogged. A perfect quote for those putting their faith on people more than God.

"Never, never pin your whole faith on any human being:..."

This is a clear point by C.S. Lewis telling us not to put our faith in anyone on earth but God, His Son, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Even, if he/she is the wisest in the whole world, we still must pin our faith on God only..

"There are lots of nice things you can do with sand; but do not try building a house on it."

I love building sand castles on beaches, especially in Duck, N.C.. It’s nice to create a city made out of sand. There are other things you can do with sand, too.. But, to build a house on sand is extremely dangerous. Read Matthew 7:26-27. Don't trust the sand will hold your home up!!

In the same way, you don't trust a man to keep your faith up. Man (people) are like sand. They can easily destroy you at any time: with words, with bluntness, placing stumbling block, with their views, with their attitudes.. If you look to me (as a minister), you know that I will never give you any pleasure (except for the pleasure of sharing God's Word) because I only please God. I may lead you into failure for the things I may do to you (not incidentally) for I am imperfect like you. We cannot expect eternal satisfaction from anyone in this world because they are likely to bring you into disappointment.

"If anyone destroy's God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple." 1 Corinthians 3:17 (niv)

They can destroy what God had built in you. You trust only God for your faith & faith-building! So, people, be careful in what you do to others, especially those who continue to have faith and love with God!!

2 comments:

Val said...

Amen!! You said it all. I feel like all of us at times are guilty of putting our faith in people and not God, it will only bring with it heartbreak and dissapointment. Thanks for the reminder.

Mark Lowenstein said...

Thanks, Val, for your comment!! I have, also, been reading your blogs as well. :) I like the top four things you've done in your life: job, places, schools, etc.. :)

As for this blog, "Faith On Sand", this is an area where I have been struggling to tell all the people I meet to depend on God, not me. But God does depend on us to pass on the wisdom people need but they end up becoming defensive and/or confrontative! They have blinded themselves with the problems of their own and not seeing God's hand through us. They expect us to scratch their backs giving them satisfaction but that's not going to happen by me. ;)

We wish you God's blessings as you continue to work to elevate YA into an awesome level, Lord willing! :)