Monday, March 06, 2006

Jesus Did It!















I would die for you but that wouldn't do a whole world of good! My death doesn't give you eternity! My blood doesn't forgive your sins! Nor does the Pope. Nor does Jimmy Swaggert. Nor does any famous movie stars will millions of dollars. Absolutely no one on earth can get you into Heaven but Jesus!

"Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."" Acts 4:12 (niv)

Today, I had to take my eldest daughter to the dentist. If it comes to sniffing a laughing gas, a numbing agent (swabs for the gums), and several shots of numbing agents to pull two teeth out of her mouth, she'll freak out! I drove up to pick her up. She came up and asked, "Daddy, what are you doing here?" She knows I, typically, don't pick her up. Here comes the tough guy to tough you up about something. Well, I had to be gentle.. "Amanda, I'm here to take you to the dentist." Her eyes began to water a bit. "Are they doing to do it, daddy?" Wow! A sweet ten-year-old gal asking such an innocent and heart-piercing question. "Yes! I believe so. You will need to listen to the doctor, Amanda," I answered. Though I am deaf, I can almost hear her heart beating.

We arrived and she was doing wonderful. Signed in. Called in. She took a seat. She asked the nurse a "truck-load of questions" which is typically normal for any lil' kid. The nurse gave a little demo of what it would be like using her hands and pulling it, "Oh, it'll be just fine. Something like this (yanking her hand and pinching her skin)." My lil' girl gave a little smirk but was being pretty cautious. And here it comes. The "laughing gas" up her nose, numbing agent for her gums and the shots. She grimmaced! She was aiming to fight the doctor but the nurse calmed her down. I gave her leg a rub-down. And the first part was over. She felt like she had been beaten that her face lips swelled up.

Then the doctor returned to do two teeth business. I see blood. She was chipping away unwanted teeth that was hanging seldomly loose from the adult tooth. Then she yanked the second tooth away. It took a minute. And the worse was over. Amanda replied, "Is that all!?" I gave her a loving compliment, "Awesome, Amanda! You did great! You did it!!"

Then I thought....

My Lord, Jesus.....

My dear Lord, Jesus.....

All alone......

He grimmaced at the thought of being ridiculed, scarred, crowned, mocked, and left all alone to be crucified...

It wasn't this little cotton-filled-blood that the doctor patted on to stop the bleeding. It was worse. It was a river of blood flowing from His body!

It wasn't the tiny needle that poked her skin giving her the numbness. It was the nails that was driven through His skin and bones giving Him the unimaginable pain!

It wasn't the gentle voice the doctor gave to her the reassurance that everything is going well. It was the countless voices of hate and mocking words the people gave to Christ!

I can almost picture Jesus' Daddy in Heaven reassuring Him what it will be like the moment from the garden to the cross, "It would be like, My Son (taking His hand and applying pressure), this. Hours will seem like a minute. It will all happen in a blink of an eye. And you will do this for the whole world who believes in You."

Jesus gave a smirk at His Father then said, "Yes, daddy. I love You. Please do not leave me alone in all this."

When the doctor and the nurse wrapped their arms around my lil' one, I wanted to go and pull her out but I know I can't. It had to be done. The teeth had to come out. In the same way, Jesus' Daddy in Heaven wanted to come and rescue His Son because He couldn't bear all the pain He went through, but He knew it had to be done. He left Him all alone, bruised and scorned and crucified on the wooden cross.

Jesus died.....

Jesus was buried.....

God rose His Son, Jesus, from the grave....

Jesus returned to be with His Daddy...

And God said, "Awesome, My Son! You did great! You did it!!"

Jesus did it for us all!

3 comments:

Mark Lowenstein said...

Amen! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! It's wonderful the way you can take an example like Amanda's experience at the dentist and draw a parallel to what Jesus went through for us. More of us should look for parallels like that in our life experiences. By the way, I love the logo with this blog entry: "Would anyone ever die for YOU? JESUS DID IT." Where did you find it? It would be wonderful for a t-shirt!

Melanie

Mark Lowenstein said...

Mel,

I found it on the web. I don't think they are selling it. I agree that this is something that ought to be "tee-d"!! :) I will see what I can do about this. Will need to ask for permission (poss. copyrighted)..