Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Thump. Thump. Who's There?

This is an article blogged by Terry Rush. Terry is a pulpit minister in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I've always enjoyed his lessons! Read on!

This blog is for young ministers who get thumped on occasion. I got mine today and should you think that somewhere along the ministry trail it quits, it doesn't. Furthermore, it's a necessary part of kingdom life; specifically personal growth. Yes, even old guys take a hit here and there.

A member came to see me today carefully expressing the dissatisfaction she and her husband have regarding my preaching. They get nothing from it. Nothing. They are bored and frustated at hearing nothing from our pulpit. How does this revelation hit me? Well, not good. It didn't make my day. The fact that such a conversation went on is only half of the event. It's what I intend to do with it that completes the project.


I INTEND TO GROW FROM IT. This is valuable stuff....painful in obvious places....but valuable. Don't waste yours. This isn't weird. It's useful.

I INTEND TO IMPROVE. I'm a better preacher than I was a few years ago and I anticipate I will be a better preacher someday than I am now. So why should I let such a conversation do anything but motivate me to stay in school and keep learning the method God chose to reach the world?

I DON'T INTEND TO ADJUST TO PLEASE THEM. If God's improving me pleases them, then that's a bonus, but my goal will not be to step up to the pulpit this Sunday and tickle their ears. Such will be up to Him, not me.

I DON'T INTEND TO POUT. I've spent too many days in such a useless pit. No more....when I can remember. Yep, the lady did hurt my feelings. Nope, I will not squander my young age fretting over something that He must work out. If I can get better awesome. Worry will not be a part of my sleep effort tonight.

I INTEND TO USE THIS EVENT TO BUILD SOME OF YOU UP. Criticism especially hurts ministers. We are usually in this work in the first place because we are sensitive. It's a part of ministerial fabric. Thus, for us, hurtful words really dig deeply. But we must not wither under such heat. We must regard it as training in the Kingdom Gym.

I am not being picked on. A couple doesn't care for my preaching. They are good people. Hey, I don't care for my preaching sometimes. Even when I'm lousy God uses such messages to promote His agenda in some way. You have a lot on the ball, young leader. Don't resist those who challenge you. Take it in. Sort through it all. Keep the valuable stuff. Toss the rest aside.

We have work to do and such workouts will keep us from giving up. Endurance is a kingdom matter....a big kingdom matter. Don't quit......II Cor. 4:16-18. If you are His minister it will be imperative you take a little thumping here and there. You won't like it because you arent' supposed to like it. We didn't like homework either. But both are designed for our learning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are not the only one.., but I am just a Sunday School teacher. I sometimes feel disappointed when the students are bored or not motivated with my lessons; however,
they don't stop me from teaching. I thank God for their challenges and intend to keep my lessons alive for God and them. I enjoy teaching the students very much..

DO NOT GIVE UP!!

Mark Lowenstein said...

Dear Sunday School Teacher,

Thanks for your note! And God bless you!! Thanks for your encouragement. I praise God for all those who devote their lives to the Lord and serve Him by preaching and teaching His Word!

Those who carefully hear His Word are the blessed ones of God!! :)