Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Running well?

"You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth?" Galatians 5:7 (niv)

How well are you running the Christian race? At first (their first love for God), they behaved themselves very commendably, had readily embraced the Christlike life and discovered a zealous way walking the Jesus walk and working hard at it. And in their baptism, they have surrendered 'their whole life' to the Lord declaring themselves aloud they are followers of Christ and their behavior was agreeable to the Holy and Eternal Word of God! Are you running well? But there is a problem among Christians today:

"Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love." Revelation 2:4 (niv)

Christians simply give up running the race for the crown of life. The life of a Christian is a race, so therefore, the Christian must run and keep on running. It's an eternal marathon with God! We must constantly keep our eye on the prize which is in Heaven. It is not enough that we run the race by merely professing we're a Christian but we "must run well" by living up to what we profess! Thus these Christians may be running the race for a while, then something obstructed their progress to grow and mature, were either turned out of the way or brought up a white flag calling it quits.

So, therefore, Apostle Paul asks us, "..who cut in on you.."? You were running well but now you couldn't hold on in the way! Some of us rather run a mile, 5 miles, or 10 miles. But running a marathon would be too much and time consuming. Paul knew those in the Galatian church. He knew what it was that hindered them. But he threw in a question that only the "quitters" can answer for themselves. And seriously consider if they had any good reason for quitting, for lagging behind, for slowing down? Here are some reasons why they simply quit:

1. They believed in God and surrendered their life to Him (in part) and ran well for a while. Then they started to run out and in bounds, until they allowed things in life to hinder their progresses and turned out of the way.

2. They have become tired after hearing the messages of the Lord over and over. Then allowing stumbling blocks in their way doing nothing to divert from them and avoid the dangers. This is especially important for young converts whom needs to be forewarned.

3. There will be those who will mislead a Christian away from obeying the truth and thereby are in danger of losing the greatest blessings they had done from the start until the turning point.

We are to embrace and profess the truth, the gospel that was preached to us. No matter how often we have heard the greatest stories of God, it's the only true way to find justification and salvation! And this, we must fully obey the form of teaching that God has entrusted us! What do we do with the gospel that was given to us?

1. The truth is not only to be "believed" but to be "obeyed"!
2. We receive the truth in love and grasp the awesome power of it!
3. We need to acknowledge that those who do not rightly obey the truth will be judged by God!
4. Our obeying the truth and embracing it enables us to run well in the Christian race and to persevere through just about any hindrances that comes our way.

When running the race well, we must strip off the "me-centered-mentality" and clothe ourselves daily with the "Christ-centered-mentality". I can give you alot of examples of "me-centered-mentality" but I think you know this mentality very well. Whatever you think or feel that is defending against the truth (yet you believe and love God), is still a "me-centered-mentality".. You do what you feel is best for you (me-centered) instead of doing what is best for God (Christ-centered)!

So how well are you running today?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark, your blog, as well as Bruce Black's and Murray's, always make me think. It is also like an "online sermon" that we can all read as we are running the race as Christians. It is VERY hard for ME as a full time graduate student to really go out and find time to serve, come out to our church and help you, or even just meet with you and/or Michelle for lunch, or go visit people like Dorothy Eckert and Hazel Taylor who would always appreciate people visiting them during their difficult times, etc. I need people to come and help support me during my trying times, but the problem is .. I have no time to spare except while sitting down for a meal (we gotta eat, right?) for at least 30 minutes. Yet, I try and do what I can. For example, this morning, I walked into a coffee shop after this couple. The line to a counter where we can order coffee and donuts was long. I waited behind this couple and somehow, they wandered to the side to look at what pastry items to order. The worker at the counter looked at me and asked what I wanted to order. I glanced over at that couple and said to the worker that they were in line before me. That couple didn't thank me, but I know they appreciated that I made sure they were served before me. Now this is not a BIG Christian race, but a small part of it. :)

One other way of being a part of a Christian race is to let other drivers race past and cut in front of us on highways. :)

FYI blog readers, Gallaudet's graduate school policy requires us to get final course grades of B or above ONLY. One course grade of C kicks us out of graduate school. So that is why I have been studying and doing my homework very diligently for the past 2 and a half years. This semester is my LAST semester and I am dealing with one very difficult graduate course which is my internship. This course requires me to write a big research paper .. which is like a PhD paper. It is more like a comprehensive paper based on what I've learned in all of my classes and apply them to the internship events. I am now asking all of you to please ask God for guidance and strength as I work on this paper, and fill it up with excellent information and data.

Ok enough rambling ... back to my big paper. I needed a NON-worldly distraction so I came and visit this blog site. :)

Thanks for listening ...

Monica

Anonymous said...

Hi Monica,

Oh, you are definetely a seed-oriented person! What you have been doing is what the Lord is looking for. You sowed your seeds by reaching out to others and focusing on others. In the Bible, the verse said "A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed."
Proverbs 11:25 (NIV).

Monica, you will reap kindness because you have sowed your kindness to others. You will reap your friendships because you sowed your seeds and be friends with others.

You have spent some of your time to make others happy so God will definetely make sure to fill your life with JOY.

Colossians 3:23-24 says "Whatever you do, work at it with your whole heart, not unto men, but do it unto God knowing that God will reward you." Monica, you are getting there! I admire you for that!

I just learned that God blesses EXCELLENCE and INTERGRITY. That means that how we live, how we do our work is what we REPRESENT GOD.
The more excellent choices we choose, the more we reflect on GOD.

You are a WONDERFUL CHILD of GOD!

GOD BLESS,
Holly

Anonymous said...

Holly, your comments supported me. Smile. Thank you for expressing them! You're right that we all need to be acting with excellence and integrity. Making the right choices makes God happy.

By the way, speaking of running the Christian race, I was reading the news online and came across an article about a local man from Virginia who is held hostage in Baghdad. He's Tom Fox, a christian peace activist who has his own blog. he knew he may get kidnapped as he went on that mission, which is what we can call a Christian race! Here's the link to his blog:

http://waitinginthelight.blogspot.com/

Thanks again, Holly for your supportive words. :)
Monica