Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Heart Of Worship - Part 4

Here's the actual event that took place no long ago. After we (my beautiful wife, Michelle and I) ate at our favorite restaurant, TiJuana Flats, in Ashburn, Virginia, we decided to go and make a "long-overdue" appointment with the dentist. As I entered the office, the secretary looked up at me and smiled, "Hi! May I help you?". I could see the ultra-white teeth shining from her mouth. I need some eye-rays to block that oh-so-good shine out of my eyes. It was surely a pleasing sight. And, of course, she has to shine it out showing her faithfulness and example because she works at the dentist office. I don't think I ever seen a crooked and coffee-stained teeth displayed from the secretary at a dentist office!

Anyways, the story goes on.... She handed me a form for me to fill out as we are the first-timer at their dentist office. There were many questions such as:

When was the last time you had an oral x-ray?
When was the last time you had a full oral examination?
How often do you brush your teeth?
How often do you floss?
How often to you pay a dentist visit?

I had a pen in my hand and I felt embarrassed and chuckled! I am not too good with the dentist but I am faithful in brushing my teeth morning and night. Flossing only depends on my mood. But I know I will have to pay a heavy price for not going to the dentist. But, we finally made an appointment and looking forward to it!

One question hit me really hard! Here it is:

Would you like to keep all of your teeth for the rest of your life?

No! I am serious! I have never seen a question like this on a form! And it makes perfect sense! If you're faithful to: brushing, flossing, getting a 6 month check-up including all those grinding, squishing, de-plaquing, and flouride, it is possible!! It requires tremendous amount of discipline, perserverance and faithfulness to maintain a healthy teeth! Apparently, the dentist is giving us the hope of having an "earthly-eternal" teeth. You'll be smiling with your own teeth in the coffin. Ha!

So we can relate this in a spiritual perspective. Imagine there's a "Heaven" form for us to fill out, we write down all sorts of information: our background, our problems, and our expectations. What if there's a question:

Would you like to keep your Spirit for the rest of eternity?

Like me, you may be thinking, "Gee.. Tough question and I haven't been faithful, nor have I been praying or meditating on God's Word or helping those who are poor, weak or helpless, or faithfully coming together in worship at church." It is like you haven't been flossing, or paying a regular dentist visit to get flouride and deep cleaning and catch those nasty cavaties before it plagues your roots! You'll need more than ACT, or SCOPE, or CREST toothpaste with flouride. You'll need a Physician. You'll need Jesus! I am not saying you'll need to see Jesus every 6 months. No. You'll need Jesus 24/7! You'll need Him for the rest of your life. That's only if you want to spend eternity with God.

If you have the heart for "Earth-everlasting" teeth, you know what you need to do. If you have the heart for "Life-everasting Time with God", then worship and serve Him only! A faithful dentist-goer poses a ultra-white teeth as a faithful worshiper of God will brightly shine among the world!

'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.' Matthew 4:10 (niv)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In order to keep all our teeth, we have to sacrifice our $$ to do so. In order to keep our faith, we have to sacrifice our soul to God. :)
I'd better go floss my teeth now. :)

Monica