Sunday, July 22, 2007

"Weaker Vessel" - 1 Peter 3:7

(Highly recommended: read all of 1 Peter 3..

I received a comment on the previous post, "Church Misconception" and thought I just take this out of this blog and create a new blog. Here's the Scriptures (different translations):

"Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers." 1 Peter 3:7 (niv)

"Ye husbands, in like manner, dwell with [your wives] according to knowledge, giving honor unto the woman, as unto the weaker vessel, as being also joint-heirs of the grace of life; to the end that your prayers be not hindered." 1 Peter 3:7 (asv)

"Likewise ye husbands, dwel with them according to knowledge, giuing honour vnto the wife as vnto the weaker vessel, and as being heires together of the grace of life, that your prayers be not hindered." 1 Peter 3:7 (kjv/1611)

First of all, I have no idea what your intentions are. I believe I know who you are but I may not. :) I believe I know the reason for this post so allow me to do the best I can to explain this not in context but as whole. The initials gave me some ideas of who you are. (SMILE)!

But allow me to explain this from God's point of view (or as best as I can from His point of view). We can see the different translations (including the 1611 KJV) clearly states that the woman (women) are "weaker vessels".

It doesn't say that man (men) are "strong" and will always be strong.. I must say that BOTH man and woman are weak souls in need of God's power and love. Man is weak but Peter (inspired by God) said that woman is weaker. Both man and woman are sinners and while sinners they're condemned to die. Both need Jesus Christ to receive forgiveness of sins.

The Scripture does not tell us that man is above woman as if showing that the woman is a "slave" to the man. No! Together, they are "joint-heirs" to the grace of life! A godly husband lives with his wife. He doesn't merely share the house with her but he truly lives with her. See also Ephesians 5:28. The godly husband must understand the essential unity that God has established between the husband and wife. Also, the godly husband must be understanding to his wife's desire and need. You will see the love of a godly husband when he shows how well he knows his wife. He listens to her and cares for her. A godly husband knows how to make his wife feel honored. Now, this is important.. Though she submits to him (read 1 Timothy 3:1-6)..

Now, here's what I believe you're looking for..

As to the weaker vessel: In this context, weaker speaks of the woman's relative physical weakness in comparison to men. Men aren't necessarily stronger spiritually than women, but they are generally stronger physically. As Peter brought in the idea of the woman's feminine nature with the words the wife, he continues in appreciating the feminine nature and how a husband should respond to it. (David Guzik's commentary)

Therefore, the godly husband recognizes whatever the limitation his wife has physically or spiritually, and he does not expect more from her than is appropriate. Here's what is in reality:

The female has what the man wants - beauty and delicacy.
The male has what the female wants - courage and strength.

The one is as good in its place as the other: and by these things God has made an equality between the man and the woman, so that there is properly very little superiority on either side.

Hope this helps..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,

Thank for answering me that question about "Weaker Vessel". And by the way, the one who sent this question is a girl who once went to your congregation. :) I believe you know now who I am. I'll be sure to blog you anytime I have an question.

B.E.M