Monday, March 28, 2005

Easter Sunday Syndrome

Wow! What a weekend we had, again! God, bless those who came before You, yesterday, to worship You and Your Son, Jesus Christ! I must say that Jesus really ROCKED the world! There's nothing else on earth that is like Him! Nothing here compares You because You are magnificent!! God, thank You for sending Your Son, not only to die for our sins, but to lead us to You with a compassionate heart! Again, Jesus, You made our hearts burn with a loving desire to love You!

We're now overcoming what I am calling it, "Easter Sunday Syndrome" (ESS). I am saying this in a very positive way, though it is mind-boggling! A week of hectic planning and prayer. Saturday's Easter Eggstravaganza with our three precious girls. The deaf ladies involved in a monthly fellowship called LANO (Ladies' Night Out) and me being Mr. Mom. NCAA basketball tournament (Go Louisville! Because the last time they won a championship was 1986!), studying and meditating on His Word for the Sunday services, then Sunday, serving 40 in attendance during class and 62 in worship, POTLUCK (where we build and strengthen His church in fellowship), took the girls to DQ for ice cream then I headed 35 miles north to Frederick for an evening deaf worship with the Marylanders! I must say that there's nothing else I would want to do than these!! These things surely fills our souls and we feel the blessedness from God!

In addition to the ESS, I have been keeping an eye on the progresses regarding the Schiavo family. I read about a Catholic priest, after giving Terri the last rites, that he could only give a drop of wine (representing Christ's blood) and not the bread because Terri's mouth is severely dehydrated. I have been watching Terri's parents go to almost every door seeking justification, even all the way to the Supreme court. Now, they have run out of doors to run to and face the worse possible scenario. This just brings me pain in my heart because I, for one, do not make the call. If there was a "living will" made out by Terri, then watching her die might be much easier. But do we truly have the right to take away "life" that God breathed into us, even if it is our own life? Starvation is a painful, miserable and torturous way to die!

I read that President Bush said something like this is a very complex issue and when in doubt, it is better to rule on the side of life. I understand what he is saying and I partially agree. But still, I wonder if what Terri has been doing for the last 15 years is really living. Then again, who am I to make that call? I have had the privilege of knowing several mentally and physically handicapped people who had more "life" in them than some of the "normal" grey faced expressionless people I see on Sunday mornings! Do we have the right to say that the existence of life is or is not justified by it's quality? I am very glad this is not my call! It is my prayer that when, after Terri passes on, that we all will, in the nation watching the Schiavo issue, come to a place of peace soon!

It made me think of "death". I see "death" like a peaceful welcoming friend. It puts an end to the suffering we're enduring: alzheimers, parkinsons and all kinds of cancer. But the most important thing before passing through death's door is: have you put on Jesus in baptism, trusting Him and walking with Him in obedience?

2 comments:

Fitness4God said...

"Death" is not our friend, no matter what the circumstances. The Word of God makes plain that physical death is the last enemy of God to be destroyed (1 Corinthians 15:20-26) and will be completed defeated when Jesus returns. In the meantime, however, we must live with death staring us in the face.

This does not mean that we should be afraid of death. Jesus' resurrection has sealed the fate of death. Death will be swallowed up in victory and so its most powerful sting has been removed through the victory of Jesus who insures that our lives will not be lived in vain. (1 Corinthians 15:54-55) Since Jesus holds the keys of Death and Hades (Revelation 1:18) and I belong to Him, then death will not have the last say in my life.

So the question we must all ask is this: "Do I belong to Him?"

Blessed Jesus

Mark Lowenstein said...

Amen! Perhaps, I wasn't clear nor did I want to be drastic about "death". However, for our blogger readers, thanks!

Paul gave those who have died (physical death), the assurance of hope we have in Christ: "For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first." Though, "death" puts an end to the suffering (with emphasis: end of suffering) unless they have died in Christ (surrendered lives/baptism).

In the Bible, "death" is also know as "separation from God." "..the wages of sin is death." Romans 6:23 And this, Jesus died, buried and rose from the grave to overcome "death" in us (sin). Since Jesus has been raised from the dead, death, indeed, has been swallowed up! This way, we have the hope in Christ to have eternal life with God.

I don't know if you agree that 'death' is a welcoming friend? It is the "end" of suffering we have endured on earth. Though, most of us will die a natural death (Jesus may come while we're still alive), it's a sign that we're (those dead in Christ) are on the way to the throne of God!