Friday, July 29, 2005

Magnetic Starbucks

I am about to be honest about something that will make me vunerable to ridicule. I'm okay with that so here goes: I only like Texas sweet iced tea at home but when I go to Starbucks, I only get the cold sweet drinks. There, I said it. It's a Venti Iced Chai, 7 pumps with less ice and more whole milk. That's exactly how I say this to every barista I meet. Load it up.

I read somewhere about a book called, 'Pour Your Heart Into It' by Howard Schultz, the chairman of Starbucks. Critics says it is a great book and I love learning about how Starbucks got started and how it became what it is. Just like Pizza Hut, they were founded about 2 1/2 hours from where I grew up (Manhattan, Kansas). Anyways, the truth of the matter is this: I LOVE Starbucks and so does my wife. I know people who loves Starbucks and I even ask if we could bring them a kawfee (my slang for coffee).

Speaking of kawfee, how can I love a place that is founded on dark roasted coffee beans, when I don't even like the 'coffee' part that much. The reason for that is this: I love the EXPERIENCE of Starbucks. I love the look, the feel. I love the smell, the colors, the nice baristas (the people). I love seeing people sitting around drinking coffee, having good conversations. I love seeing people I know. Starbucks isn't in the coffee business for people. It is in the people business while serving coffee. And, frankly, it's hard to stay away from the place.

So, I ask you. Yeah, you... reading this blog. Critical questions: What kind of experience are we giving those who don't know Christ? Are we (believers) getting it? Are people magnetized by what we are offering, or what He is offering? What are we doing wrong?

5 comments:

Fitness4God said...

It's cawfee ( New Yawk accent!), not kawfee :) Heh..

Espresso frappaccino to go..

Great BLOG..Everyone is welcome to join me at Starbucks in D.C. or MD for fellowship, pray, and talk about God.

Mark Lowenstein said...

"cawfee" = NY java
"kawfee" = KS java

:)

When, bro? One Saturday a month in Bethesda would be great!!

Anonymous said...

Monica here typing away ...

Count me in for a SATEHDAY Starbucks in DC or Md. Va ... hmm ... haven't I driven to Va ENOUGH? Smile.
Seriously, though ... perhaps when we greet visitors, we can try and see if they would like to meet us at Starbucks which can be more of a magnetic place to gather, but for a REASON. That reason is to share our temple (heart) with them. Make Starbucks sort of like a "temple" to meet, enjoy the taste of kawfee or cawfee or coughee or whatever ... :) and savor the fellowship that we are all so hungry for. If Starbucks is so magnetic, let's gather there and convert that magnetism to OUR HEARTS .. make them see our hearts, open THEIR hearts and we then feed their hearts with God's Word. Howzat?

Monica

Mark Lowenstein said...

Excellent idea! It doesn't always have to be a "church building" and for you, enough travelling to Va! :) Perhaps, we can get something going. A couple of deaf in our area has asked me to lead a bible study at a java house (Caribou, Starbucks or any local coffee shoppe) where they have great seats in such a warm atmosphere. Let's pray about this and see where God leads us all in this.

Anonymous said...

Mark, I have two especially favorite places that I frequently hide at. They both have cozy environments. One is Cosi, which has two floors and also has tables outside, and is located at 301 Pennsylvania Ave SE, DC (very close to the Library of Congress). The other one is Tryst Coffee House Bar & Lounge located at 2459 18th Street NW, DC (in Adams Morgan). Tryst has an interestingly cozy environment with MANY couches, soft chairs, soft table lamps and coffee tables. They have a HUGE bay window that opens up to let the fresh air in. VERY down to earth! Esp quiet on wkd mornings. Cosi has plenty of street parking nearby but Tryst may require you to take metro and walk a few blocks. Adams Morgan area now forbid parking on some streets, ESPECIALLY on 18th where it's located on, from 9 pm to 3 am.

If you want me to check out more possible places in DC, let me know, and I'll do the legwork.

Monica (DC expert .. grin)