Monday, July 18, 2005

Bad Church Day

I had this funny thought in my sleep (yes, in my sleep) about the first time I visited Sports Clip, a new barber shop in the Broadland area, for a haircut. The welcome was a nice one. There were tv's everywhere in the barber store. When called to take a seat and meeting "Edward Sissorshand", something natural sets in the very core of my heart: fear of a bad hair day! I am very picky on who cuts my hair. A selfish side of me have a wish how my hair is to be cut. After "Edward", well, he is actually a she so may call her, "Edwina" does her job on my hair, I was rather impressed in how she did it. I walked out with a neatly trimmed hair on my head with a big smile.

A couple weeks later, my hair grew up like weeds in the yard! So it is time, again, to return to Sports Clip for another haircut. This time, "Edwina" wasn't there and there was another lady barber standing at the cashiers box. I am going to call her, "Cruella De Vil" because she's one cranky lady. She prompted me to sit down on the barber chair and asked how I would like my hair done. I explained exactly as I always have to every barber I meet (Paul, a deaf member and also a deaf barber, you're probably next!). Then "Cruella" probably did her worse. My hair was out of style. I could see that she missed some strands of hair. Yes, I actually use a microscope to see if any strands are left uncut. I, politely, told her that she needs to trim it a bit more, neatly (pretty please). But it wasn't the best cut, it was actually the worst cut in my life. I walked out with a Bad Hair Day! And since then, I didn't return to get a haircut there at Sports Clip.

Then a dream came in as I was asleep giving me a parallel between the barber shop and the church. Even though, "Edwina" did a fantastic job, "Cruella De Vil" erased the great things about Sports Clip! I should have seen "Edwina's" job more than "Cruella's", but instead, I see "Cruella's" more because I care about my hair more than the store. An interesting parallel between that and the church is suppose there is an "Edwina" in the church that gives positive attitude, fruitfulness and inspiration to a visitor but "Cruella" comes up to that specific visitor and causes discomforts probably because "Cruella" isn't as sensitive as "Edwina". "Cruella" may not have the fruit the Spirit is trying to help her grow, may not have the excitement for God like "Edwina". I wouldn't blame the visitor for not returning to church because "Edwina's" example may have been erased by "Cruella's" example. People always remember the bad things more than the good and that's sad.

The "visitor" may feel inferior, intimidated, neglected, insulted by the bluntness of "Cruella" and felt the church isn't given him/her the necessary things in life. He/she may be more "selfish" not to attend church in fear of the pressures of "negative" things a "Cruella" does on him/her. It's extremely crucial that we keep the spirit of "Edwina" in our lives and reflect the Lord more! How many "Edward's" and "Edwina's" do you have in the church? Are there any "Cruella's" that's causing harm to the church and her growth?

Let's pray that the visitors do not walk out with a "Bad Church Day"!

"If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother." Matthew 18:15 (nas)

"For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example, because we did not act in an undisciplined manner among you,.." 2 Thessalonians 3:7 (nas)

No comments: