Monday, April 25, 2005

To Like Or Not To Like

There are alot of things I don't like. And there are, also, alot of things I like. I don't like putting on my Nike's without socks. You just never know what creeps from within the sole. I don't like seafood. Because they give a deathly stare at me before I ever put a fork to it. I don't like to see alot of blood. They give my head a big swirl. I don't like gossips. Because they always do more harm than good. I don't like it when people interrupt a good and divine conversation. You just never know what God has in store for them. I don't like to go to crowded places. You'll likely not end up where you want to be. I don't like people being critical to others when they have a "big log" in their eyes. It's like the audience telling Dr. Phil what's best in life. I don't like it when people say, "I need more time for self than for God." They're surely missing out the best of the best in relationships!

There are alot more that I don't like. But I don't need to tell you anymore. Now you know some of hundreds of thousands of examples that I don't like. And I don't need to tell you anymore. You can jot down alot of your likes and dislikes. Often, you'll see more being listed on the dislikes side! It is something that you and I have to deal with. We are unique human beings. God designed us for this very purpose.

There are alot of things that I like, too. People hugging people. Being loving. Being joyful. Christians high in the Spirit of God! People making a huge chunk of time with God, I mean, "huge"!

When it comes to a relationship with God, though, you and I, both, have differences in life (our likes and dislikes), doesn't mean that we have to turn around to "please a person" to fulfill their "likes" and diminish their "dislikes". There will be a time when we will not like what the "truth" is. God has set, before us, a boundary to stay within, regardless if you like it or not. There will always be a time when people enter the boundary, observe all that is being done within the boundary of God and express their "likes and dislikes". They may try and force a change to please their craving nature. Apostle Paul encountered this similar problem that is happening to us all today:

"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ." Galatians 1:10

Paul was trying to bring the people into "obedience" to the Lord's command and to stay within the boundary of God. There were problems within the church in Galatia, namely, the Judaizers. It is a name for those who were formerly Jews that became a Christian. The judaizing teachers came into the church with a goal: to change the church into doing what the Judaizers like. The judaizing teachers, by whom these churches were corrupted: they mixed works with faith, and the law with the gospel, only to please the Jews, whom they were willing to compromise and keep in with, that they might escape persecution.

But Paul was a man of another spirit for whom the Judaizers do not like: Paul was not so solicitous to please them, nor to alleviate their rage against him, as to change the doctrine of Christ either to gain their favor or to avoid their fury. And he gives this very good reason for it, that, if he yet pleased men, he would not be the servant of Christ.

While we have our "likes and dislikes", we need to continue to keep things to ourselves and do the will of our Father in Heaven. We're here, not to please ourselves, but to please the One and Only, God! It is encouraged that every church in the world stay within God's boundary and while we do so, here are a couple of verses we ought to possess within our hearts:

THERE WILL ALWAYS BE DIFFERING ASSUMPTIONS, yet: "May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus." Romans 15:5

WE NEED TO FIGHT FAIR (Fight the fight of faith!) So "Remind the people... to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all." Titus 3:1-2

MAKE SURE WE'RE IN THE LINE OF RESPECT by showing "..proper respect to everyone." 1 Peter 2:17

MAINTAIN HOLY MOTIVES when you listen to Jesus' words: "If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love." John 15:10

WHEN THE TOP FLIES OFF we ought to "Be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you." 2 Cor. 13:11

No comments: