Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Carnality v. Spirituality

I have mentioned this to so many Christians for about a couple of years. An interesting scenario here is that there's a difference between living your life with a worldview and the way of the world seems more comfortable, less conflicting, less demanding, and more control of our own lives to living your life with the Spirit that appears to be troublesome, more conflicts, more demands and loss of control of our own lives.

After thinking and re-thinking this difficult, but eye-opening subject, no wonder why so many of us have not "counted the cost" (Luke 14:28) before making a commitment to be, live, walk like Jesus. I had the privilege to bring men and women to Jesus. But then they quickly fall away because they realized living with the Spirit isn't as easy as they think. Satan pressed (continue to press others) back into the worldview they once lived in. They returned back to their own vomit:

"Of them the proverbs are true: "A dog returns to its vomit," and, "A sow that is washed goes back to her wallowing in the mud."" 2 Peter 2:22 (niv)

Jesus, thousands of years ago, had already warned His disciples that those who follow Jesus will be persecuted, betrayed, mocked, and ridiculed. Many places in the Bible, Jesus, with great concern for His brothers and sisters, emphasized His followers with caution. Here are a couple of many admonishments Jesus gave:

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33 (niv)

"For I have come to turn "'a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law -.." Matthew 10:35 (niv)

Even Jeremiah, the Lord's lone prophet, complained to God about the wicked. To Jeremiah, the wicked prospered with wealth and fame. They had everything they wanted. They were comfortable. They were far from God. And the "faithless" lived at ease! Jeremiah, a suffering servant, suffered the formidable suffering while Israel and the rest of the people in the world enjoyed their worldly pleasures. Sounds alot like today, huh? Do you hear people say, "I don't need to go to church?" I have. Alot! Deep inside me, I feel sorry for them for they do not understand. Of course, I give a chuckle. They're laughing right now but they won't be when their time comes.

"You are always righteous, O LORD, when I bring a case before you. Yet I would speak with you about your justice: Why does the way of the wicked prosper? Why do all the faithless live at ease?" Jeremiah 12:1 (niv)

How about this one here?

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Matthew 7:13-14 (niv)

Narrow.
Small.

Two words. Difficult passage. But the only road to life-everlasting.

"Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." Luke 9:23 (niv)

"And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple." Luke 14:27 (niv)

Deny.
Carry.

Two words. Difficult task. A road to discipleship.

I have a heavy heart for all the deaf in the DC/VA/MD area without Jesus. They think we're insane. They think we're wasting our time. They can prove there are some hypocrites in the church. Of course, I can vouch for that. I agree. But God will judge them.

I also have a heavy heart for the "wishy-washy Christians" without consistent commitment with their Lord and King. Many of those in the world today do not realize they are blind to God's love and grace and His full potential in their lives. Mark Isaiah's word:

"..to open eyes that are blind, to free captives from prison and to release from the dungeon those who sit in darkness." Isaiah 42:7 (niv)

Amen, Isaiah, amen!

"Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law." Psalm 119:18 (niv)

No comments: