Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Oh My __________!

Christians, any profanity (word or deed) must be omitted from our very own minds and hearts!! Using the f-word and s-word or any words in relation to filth must be removed from our mental vocabulary! If you've been a Christian for a long time and still use these words, there's really something wrong. They're either not taking "Christianity" seriously or they're not really Christians. I may be blunt but it's true!

God tells it all about the use of "profanity"! Paul wrote to the church in Ephesus, "Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving." Ephesians 5:4 (niv) Also, wrote to another church in Colossae, "But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.. ..since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator." Colossians 3:8-10 (niv)

When you used such words like, "f-word", "s-word" or any other "word" without guilt, your mind and heart is obviously polluted by the world's conversations. It is nothing but filth! Those who use cuss-words makes me squirm in my seat, especially those coming from the mouth and hands of a Christian. I have heard many Christians who told me that they have tried so hard to quit but couldn't. Must I spell this out that it is, indeed, hard for the person to stop but it is NEVER hard for the Spirit! Christians ought to examine their lives and those around them. Who are their friends? Do they read the Bible? Who do they fellowship with the most? You may be using cuss-words because you're with a Christian who uses them too. Such person is probably hanging with the wrong person because they are "polluting the mind of a Christian" instead of a Christian "cleaning the mind of the pollutant" with Jesus' love!

When I am conversing with a Christian who uses such filthy words, it's hard for me to see the fruit of the Spirit in the person. It's even more harder for me to continue conversing when they continue cussing. What should our conversation be? "Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt.." Colossians 3:6 (niv)

I am inserting Murray Sanderson, our worship leader's comments regarding using the Lord's name in vain:

You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.” Exodus 20:7

A dear friend of mine (a FXCC member) recently brought to my attention that she often hears “Oh my G-d” said aloud in the lobby of our building. This exclamatory phrase, perhaps used by all of us at one time or another, greatly disturbs her, and rightly so. It should disturb all of us. By biblical command, we should treat God’s name with utmost reverence.

If we sing on Sunday morning, “Lord, I lift your name on high!” Then on Sunday afternoon we exclaim, “oh my G-d!” in casual conversation, then you’ve just lifted the name of the Lord down low. You’ve reduced it to a common, trivial expletive.

As a church, let’s together admit that we can do much, much better with revering God’s name. Let’s not throw stones at any of us who casually use this phrase and haven’t really given it a thought. Let’s confess it as sin and move on. Commit to treating God’s holy name with the greatest care. Eliminate from your vocabulary “oh my God” as an exclamatory phrase. And no, “oh my ga”, “gosh”, “gee”, “Geesh”, “Geez” aren’t suitable either.

Remember, you can’t change yourself on your own power; allow the Holy Spirit to renew and transform you, every detail of your life…even your exclamations! He will give you the grace & conviction you need to gradually morph into the God-honoring person He intends you to be.

4 comments:

Fitness4God said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Fitness4God said...

For he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things. Psalm 107:9


The Bible cries out with one recurring truth: God quenches the
thirst and satisfies the hunger of those who seek him. So often we try to soothe the ache in our soul and fill the emptiness in our
heart with what is only a temporary satisfaction that only God's presence can fill. Let's refuse every false satisfaction and seek God.

Mark Lowenstein said...

Mrs. B,

I read lips very well. I can see a "dirty word" being spoken a mile away. ;) Of course, I give a clean, good whack in a nice way.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You just came right out and said it! Sometimes I'm afraid people just don't realize what they are saying when they take the Lord's name in vain because it is so very prevalent in our society. I'll admit, I've used a curse word a time or two and have worked hard to keep those words from my mind, but my grandmother made sure I never, ever, ever said anything close to the name of God or Jesus as an exclamation of either joy or disgust. It was so ingrained that I was even reluctant to say them outloud for a while. But I digress. Thank you for your gentle rebuke. We all need to remember that we are not of this world.