Thursday, January 03, 2008

Random thoughts on the 3rd day of January...

Ok.. I'm going to try doing this every third day of the month. It just came to mind today. I don't know why. Another side of me tells me NOT to do this while another one tells me it's important to edify His church at Fairfax and elsewhere. Probably something the Lord wants me to do. And the third day has its own significance, many: Jesus rose on the third day, Saul was blind for three days before meeting Ananias and many others in the Bible.

If you're a family at Fairfax, I encourage you to encourage your fellow brother and/or sister in Christ to read this blog as well as other spiritual blogs in the blog world. Here are some thoughts that ran through my mind today and I pondered on them and prayed to the Lord:

1. Last night's class was small. Some were out of town while another had a medical reason. I don't know about the rest but, of course, I'll leave that up to God. I was personally exhausted after a 5 and 12 hour trip in two days with only one day of rest. And I thanked God for giving me a little more energy to continue through the day and eve for an opportunity to study His Word, to feed and be fed among His family at Fairfax. Also, I encourage everyone to "reserve" Wednesdays and Sundays as a time to be with God together as a family. The reason is, two things: being an example to others (members and visitors) and a personal establishment of setting God first in their lives (Matthew 6:33).

2. After seeing my dad in Kansas last month over the holidays, I've pointed the "prayer laser" at dad's heart in hope that God will (Lord willing) intervene on his behalf as he struggles with Parkinsons disease. After seeing him, he hasn't been doing very well. Just the morning we're getting ready to leave to return to Kansas City, I gave my dad a hug and encouraged him to keep on trusting in God and that I love him so much. I just had to leave immediately because my eyes were welling up and my heart reached my throat. I sought the Lord for His hand, His power, and His mercy be poured out on him. Bless my mother for her undying devotion to her husband. She's sticking by him every inch of the way.

3. Enemies Within... "I don't like him/her." We're battling the wrong being. Not that we will "never" have conflicts, we will. Believe it or not, it's a healthy way to grow. You'll learn more about one another with it than without. Seriously! But if we cringe and run away from this conflict, then you may never grow to appreciate your fellow brother or sister in Christ. You may say that you don't like one person in the church because he/she may be too quiet or he/she may be too loud like a drama king/queen. Remember, God created individuals in a unique way. Everyone has different personalities.. I enjoy quiet people. I also enjoy loud people. Sometimes. :) The real issue is Satan. He's the real enemy. We're fighting against him.. If you have an opinion about another people around you, pray about it. Let's be positive. Let's be Jesus.

4. I was reading Paul's comments to the governor in Acts 26:29, "Short time or long - I pray God that not only you but all who are listening to me today may become what I am (Christian), except for these chains." (niv/parenthesis mine) Paul desires those he approached to tell them about Jesus to become like him. Paul loves the Lord. He imitates the Lord Jesus Christ, His love, His compassion for the lost, His zeal to give God the glory and His undying devotion to fulfill the will of the Lord, even to the point of death! Some or many of us have grown weary in our walk of faith.

That's my random thoughts on this third day! Lord, Be Praised!!!

Do you think the road to eternity is a long one? If you answered, "Yes", then you're wrong. For those whom have given their lives to the Lord in baptism, eternity lives in each of you as long as you're heartfully devoted to doing the Lord's will everyday! Paul also said, "Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1. So, beware of others who do not give a good example to you. Avoid imitating them but only Jesus. One may decide not to go to church, would you follow their example as well? One may decide not to read the Bible everyday, would you follow their example, too? There are may other examples that I can list on and on but you know them yourselves. It would be good to daily examine your life closely:

"Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you - unless, of course, you fail the test?" 2 Corinthians 13:5 (niv)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is true your message. Trust the Lord comes first. Love God's commands very important. I love to read your message. Happy New Year Mark and Michelle and daughters. Love you in Christ, Patty Ann Melnikas

Anonymous said...

Mark,

Thanks for your thoughts. It is never easy to express your thoughts about how things appear from the center of the life of worship. Since you're pointing things out to us and others, you're a good minister and I do hope people see you this way. If they throw in a critique, could it be possible that they're reluctant about change.

That's another matter that I'm struggling with those trying to walk with me as I walk with Jesus. I may be ahead while some others I know may still be behind. Whether they be defensive or not, we are to point to them our perception of their walk with God.

Please do not hesitate to express your thoughts. We need them whether if they may appear rational or irrational. You'll allow us to rationalize them ourselves. Then God will do the rest for His business is working the heart of a Christian person.

Greg

Anonymous said...

I'm with Greg ... don't be afraid to share your thoughts like you did just now. I do check in here for your blogs (or thoughts or videos to share) nearly every day. And we all need to be reminded how important it is to put God first in our lives and to sacrifice AT LEAST 2 hours on Sunday mornings and 1 hour on Wednesday nights to put aside our worldly worries and focus on God. I admit I struggle at times during my weary moments on Sundays and Wednesdays (tears are coming out right now) and do not want to go anywhere outside my apartment door. But I push myself out there and learn how to be more like Jesus. So Mark, keep up with this reminder from time to time. I know I am NOT alone in my struggles.

About your father, you are really going through a very challenging period in your life when you're dealing with a parent who is not doing well. This is a trial and tribulation lesson that Ron, my "Virginia Dad" taught me about so many times when I was so burdened by my aging parents. You're on this same path and it leads to the unknown but I do think that God is taking care of this unknown path that your Dad is walking on spiritually.

Perhaps you can do responses on the 20th day of the month? And thoughts on the 3rd? :) Heh. This is a good time-management technique. :)

Love you, Brother Mark for being so strong! Not just for your parents but for your sheep in Fairfax Church of Christ.

I love Carrie Underwood, too! :)

Monica

Anonymous said...

I am with Monica! It is good to know that I am not the only one who has the same struggles. Our home is a wonderful haven of peace and quiet where I spend most of my time being with the Lord and my family.

Fellowship with the Christians and bringing people to the Lord are not one of my strong suits. I know the Lord has been working on that with me lately.

Thank you, Monica and Mark! Enjoy the rest of your new year of 2008 with the Lord. He has many amazing plans for you.

Hint..the clothes that you gave me..I never forgot that..Hugs..

Anonymous said...

To the anonymous who has my old clothes, HI!!!!! :) Keep that tight rein onto God and your struggles should be easier to deal with. :)

Monica