Monday, March 02, 2009

A Life Coach











Most people see me as a preacher or evangelist, or minister. But I want people to see me as a follower of Jesus just like them. What I do, I want them to do:

"Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1

Most preachers swim in a fishbowl with all eyes on them. Not only the preacher, also the preacher's wife. Not only the preacher's wife, also the preacher's children. Many church members see preachers as a step above the normal person.

To me, the preacher who is viewed as a normal person has an extreme advantage over the one who is viewed as the perfect spiritual leader.

Now, this doesn't apply to preachers alone but to each and every believer:

1. If you are courageous enough to expose your spiritual doubts, people around you may be more relate to you as a "real person."

2. If you carefully reveal a martial struggle (with permission from your spouse), people may be more likely to listen.

3. When you tell about certain failures, many people will feel increased bond with you.

4. If you are hurting and you express your need, your church family can be aware to pray for and minister to you.

Now, I'm not saying that all the points above will hit every heart of a believer in your life. A few people might reject you for your authentic confessions. Yet, the majority will accept, embrace and trust you as a genuine believer constantly wrestling to grow closer to Jesus!

3 comments:

carpenter said...

Good Morning:

I concur. The minister at the church which I attend believes as do you and I tell him all the time that it is his emotion and his sharing that contributes to his greatness.

Thank you

Tom

Shalee said...

I agree that preachers are put into a different class altogether by congregants. I think that they assume that because a preacher has more Bible knowledge, then they will automatically be closer to God.

It's like assuming that a doctor, who has been through medical school, has all the answers about every medical question. No man can know everything, nor will his diagnosis be 100% correct 100% of the time...

One of the aspects of following Christ that I think is missing, especially in the American culture, is the ability and determination to be real about our personal walk with God. I count myself blessed that I have a few friends who know my struggles with belief/sin/temptations and that they love and pray for me still. Being able to confess and to be real about anything and everything is part of God's plan for us. It's a whole lot easier to walk His road if we can count on others to bear our loads at time.

That's for everyone, ministers included.

Word of Victory said...

Thanks, nice reminder to us "regular" people who also share the good news.