Monday, September 24, 2007

hear MY Word

No.. I'm not saying that you hear "my" words, you hear "MY" Word which is God's!

"If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account." Deuteronomy 18:19 (niv & bold mine)

I was told that people tell those who attend Fairfax Church of Christ Deaf Ministry that they do not like what I preach, they do not like my sermons, they do not like how I present them, they do not like how the message steps on their toes, and many other lines.

And you know what I did? I laughed. Seriously! I laughed. I can say, "Ok, so be it." Or "I am very sorry you feel that way." Or I could say, "You don't like how God speaks to your heart?" Of course, it's NOT my words that I'm preaching. It's His! Though, maybe my style isn't theirs which is fine. They may be looking for an entertaining preacher. I may be one but I don't entertain people, I do these for the glory of God.

This past Saturday, my family and I attended a revival at McLean Bible Church. Some of you may be shocked beyond oblivion that a "Church of Christ" preacher would dare step his foot inside any denominational building. It didn't bother me. Jesus went into the presence of sinners. Paul went into the presence of the Jews in synagogues. I was glad to be part of the fellowship at MBC. A couple of members were a bit uncomfortable having us around but a very few of them really enjoyed our presence. We shared our hearts with those who loves the Lord, not those who acts like "Pharisees" passing condemning words or questions at us. I felt like "Jesus" entering Jerusalem where all the Pharisees bark out hollow and deceptive words/questions (Col. 2:8) at me. Even one of them accused me (secretly with a fellow brother of mine) that I'm a cult leader of the church of Christ. Of course, I say, "Oh, please! Me, a cult leader!? Ha! Never in my life!" LOL!

Nevertheless, I did enjoyed David Hansen's messages on "How to study the Bible?" and reviewing the life of Abraham, Moses, John with an emphasis on our faith with God! I thanked God for David. And do you know why? There are too few ministers, preachers and "pastors" (I'm not going to get into any doctrinal discussions on this but you know what I mean here..) for the deaf giving up their lives, their hearts, their times to serve the Lord bringing deaf souls to Jesus! David's style is different. But that's God's work, not mine. Jose Abenchuchan's style is different. Joe Kaplan's style is different. Andy Deuschle's style is different. Or, better yet, we say, "a unique servant design by God!"

You don't like my sermons, messages, lessons??? That's ok.. Worst yet, you're not listening to God...

"As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it. There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day." John 12:47-48 (niv)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark,

Thanks for being "Jesus" to those who appears to be 'uncomfortable' with you being there. Must I remind you that its your 'smile' that melts away their bitterness? They will surely feel guilty for their 'barking words'. You're in our prayers!

Thanks for this message!

ccm14er said...

Whew, how dare !!! But cool and nice sneaky you had gone, but good faithful fortune !!

A church is just a church. Period !!

What is really the most important being counted in the name of the Lord, is what below:

Just follow Jesus the Savior into YOUR Heart only ... then all that's counts.

Go to a church is not matter on what it's in YOUR Heart.

Church of Christ or Baptist (SBC or IFBC) or any other non-dem or dem churches.

JUST GO AND ENJOY THE LORD'S BLESSING AS YOU GO TO A CHURCH. What church is for best fit in your heart for your faithful growth for Jesus.

Very simple kindly message,
C......

Anonymous said...

Hi..

Bro. This is Greg and you don't know me. You're not alone. Every church will have a couple of "Pharisees" of their own... I'm sure you have a few in yours, huh? I personally don't like critical Christians unless their motives are heartful... If they're out to compete and destroy, I don't think it's worth my time fighting them...

You said it before in other blog that we're battling Satan, not other Christians... I simply hate plain arrogance... Where's the light in that? Where's the fruit of the Spirit?

If those at McLean or anyone else reads your blog and are disgust by what you have typed, it's pride that's taking control of their lives. You mentioned that there are other fellow Christians you enjoyed being with. I'm glad you placed a "good side" of McLean. And I must say that the rest of them are simply "weeds" as mentioned by Jesus in 'The Parable of the Weeds' (Mat. 13)

I also like this ccm14ers comments as well. Keep up with the work you do for Jesus, Mark.

Greg

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,

Your sermons sometimes hit a chord, but it does not mean you are a bad preacher. You, defintely, are one of few DEAF excellent preachers. I am not trying to brown nose you, but it is TRUE. I sometimes do not like how you say things as I am sure some people who read your blogs, feel the same way. However, that means we have to crumble down our defenses and re-evaluate our problems and situations to check out what the Bible says. I sometimes have to swallow my pride and accept to work on my weaknesses and have God walk by my side and support me.

You are not the only one that I do not like to listen sometimes. There are few favorite preachers of mine who constantly challenge me. I feel more connected to preachers who express things very
STRONG. I don't click well with those who preach gently, but surprisingly, I favor with one of the southern preachers who smile all the time and is very soft-spoken.

Again, I think it was nothing wrong that you came to MBC last weekend. I am disappointed for not seeing you all there. BAD ME! Anyway, we can go to any DEAF revivals and learn what they have in store for us from the Bible. We can come to your Fairfax Deaf Ministry for any events to be with other Christians.

Remember, you said again and again about itching ears. You have hit the high spots from time to time.

Your strong personality with a gentle heart and God-giving smile win over people's hearts and help them see JESUS in you.

Mark Lowenstein said...

Brothers, Sisters and Bloggers..

Thanks for your comments! It sure means alot to me. And, yes, I'm not saying that I expect to be a perfect preacher. Don't expect anything from me. I'm only a messenger. I speak what the Bible and my heart says. :)

LOL! I also don't expect to be your favorite preacher. Because I can disappoint you, and you, and you from time to time. The Disciples were disappointed in Jesus. Israel was disappointed in God. But they intend to do them for good! Is this a test of our faith? Israel became bored with God that they knelt to the idols. And, Jesus. He preached and preached and preached. Then Judas went to betray Him. Peter denied Jesus three times. The rest of the Disciples except John abandoned their Lord. After three years, Jesus' messages didn't sink into their heart well enough. Now, we can find so many Christians like these 12 Apostles!! Christians deny. Christians abandon. Christians forgot the timeless messages.

Oh, and another thing is, a few have said that I am too young to be a minister of the gospel! Interesting, we have a couple of Christians alot older than those who said this in the family of God at Fairfax! Is this an excuse not to go to church? And I hear Apostle Paul speaking to me, "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." 1 Tim. 4:12

Open your eyes and see the Lord!

Anonymous said...

You are a laughing preacher who can be forthright when you get God's messages in your heart.

Everyone included you is like 12 Disciples who can make mistakes. Remember we are all sinners who have our preferances, dislikes, and likes..We have our FREE WILL that is not good so that is why we need to keep our eyes peeled for the Lord to give us moral compass to do his will.

Mark Lowenstein said...

To the above blogger commentor,

Amen!

I, for one along with all others, have often abandoned, denied and failed to allow God's messages to sink into my heart! Thank God for imperfections! We're made perfect in Christ!

Thanks for the reminder! We need it!

Anonymous said...

Mark,

It is good to see you at the revival last Saturday. I am currently attending MBC. Remember that MBC is a non-denominational church and its mission is to welcome anyone, any denominational, bring them to the gospel of Jesus Christ and also the purpose of revival is to re-dedicate to Jesus Christ.

In Christ,
EST

Mark Lowenstein said...

EST,

Yes! It was great to see you. You're one of the great people we enjoyed being with at MBC!!

I stand corrected re non-denomination.. I meant to say that some will be "shocked" for me to go into a church other than the "Church of Christ", denomination or non-denomination. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

God bless!