Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Weary and heavy laden?

"Come unto me all you that are weary and heavy laden (exhausted) and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me ….” – Matt. 11

Everyone experiences confusion on a regular basis. I know this is not the greatest news in the world. Yet, I believe it is totally true. Allow me to prove my point from my own life.

I have confusion over many things daily. Why do I always catch the red light? How do I get an elevator to come to the floor I’m on more quickly? Besides these minor fits of confusion, there are some that are more personal. Why do I withdraw when I’m hurt? Why am I so easily threatened by life (esp. when I have more education than any one in their right mind should!).

I can step confusion up another level when I move from concerns about me to concerns about God. Where is He when I hurt? What was God doing when I was being abused? Boy, don’t those questions stir us!

Wouldn’t it be nice if all of our confusion could be cleared up so easily? And that is exactly the point of this article, to help you get the most out of your confusion.

Let me tell you how confusion feels:

Questions.
Disorientation.
Sadness.
Darkness.
Abandonment.
Anger.

I have good news for you confusion is purposeful. It forces you and I to say loudly, "I don’t know!” Confusion shocks you! The shock reveals overconfidence in your own knowledge. You can be TOO sure!

Confusion can expose our need for inordinate control of life, even to the point of trying to manipulate God to get relief from the confusion. Confusion accelerates when we look to ourselves and not God. I believe confusion is an invitation to turn the problem over to Christ.

Here are principles I picked up in one of my readings as I was moving through the dark valley of confusion to the freedom of trust:

* Remember, even though you’re confused God is not!
* Admit your confusion to God. Don’t hold back! God is able to handle any honest concern you have.
* Cry out to God for help or direction that only He can give. In this way your confusion propels you to rich dependence on God.
* Don’t try to STOP the confusion. Instead, confess the confusion to God fully aware that your best attempts are carnal, fleshly efforts that will yield no lasting change.
* Confusion confirms a biblical view of man and God. What I mean is we know a little and God knows all. Therefore, confusion moves us from our little knowledge to God’s all-knowing.

God invites you to come when confused, tired, and exhausted. Hear the words of our brother Jesus, "Come unto me all you that are weary and heavy laden (exhausted) and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me ….” – Matt. 11

No comments: