Sunday, August 07, 2005

Who Are You?

Who are you? What is your name? I am sorry, but I really don't know you.

If you have a friend of 20, 30 or 40 years that suddenly says, "Who are you?", how would you feel? It would come to a shock to you at first. Then the second response would probably be this, "You gotta be kiddin' me! It's me, man! You've known me for 30 years, dude!" Yet, he still says, "I am really sorry, I don't know who you are." Then walks away. Your jaw will drop to the floor. A buddy of 30 years vanished without a trace! You're eternally banned from a friendship with him. After all the laughter, tears, hundreds of thousands of conversations, mutual support, sporting events, restaurants and hundreds of great times, the friendship dwindles to a complete end! You may be thinking, "What did I do to deserve this?" "What did other people say to him about me?" "Why, after 30 years, did this have to happen?"

Could this happen to you in your relationship with Jesus? Sure!

"Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'" Matthew 7:23 (niv)

This is what we ought to fear the most. Jesus can end any relationship with God's children. If you read the whole chapter of Matthew 7, you will understand. Jesus expects God's children to bear fruit, stay away from false teachers, walk the narrow way (suffer for Him), and listen to Him. It really doesn't matter if you had some great times with Him to the point that you fell away from an intimate relationship with Jesus. You may still be thinking, "He's my Friend but I don't have time for church." "He's my Friend but I have other friends I fear to lose so I do what they want me to do." "He's my Friend but I still love to be like the world." "He's my Friend and I am saved then I go and play with sin a bit but He will understand because He is my Friend." I can give you hundreds of quotes thinking Jesus as your Friend, yet you "intentionally" sin against Him.

Then He may someday come to you and say, "Who are you? I am sorry, I don't know you." and walk away.

Does Jesus know who you are? He will if you listen to Him.

No comments: